Saturday was my birthday. I joyously received tons of birthday greetings via Twitter and FB. I was determined to thank everyone for sharing my birthday joy by sending them a thank you. I had the luxury of time to do that as we traveled to our Godchild’s place in Maine for my birthday celebration, a nearly four hour trip. It was a pleasant trip as I shared info with Steve while we listened to an audio book.
When we arrived, I was happy and excited to be there. Wow! This was going to be a great birthday weekend. When I readjusted my focus back to non-screen environment, I realized my eyes were burning. I decided a couple drops of saline would be soothing. Excitedly I reached in my cosmetic bag and took out the small red topped bottle, one of many bottles. I opened it and put a drop of “crazy like” glue in my eye.
I instantly knew I was in trouble. Thankfully, my Godchild, Kathleen, was by my side. She physically guided me to the door. Steve helped me to the car. We followed Kathleen’s husband, Tom, to the emergency room. NOTE: Not once did my beloved husband ask me any questions about how the glue got into my eye. I was treated and released with lots of pain medication.
The birthday celebration continued, although somewhat less enthusiastic. We had steamers and lobsters, grilled vegetables, corn on the cob, and luscious fresh fruit. In all honesty, I don’t remember the food as vividly as I would like. What I do remember is the tremendous love and caring I received from my husband and from Kathleen and her family.
This whole incident is rather embarrassing and I wasn’t going to write about it. Then I realized I have learned a very painful, but valuable lesson. I will NEVER use eye drops again without reading the label. If I could save just one person the pain I have experienced, it would be worth the embarrassment to share this experience.
Epilogue: Today is Wednesday. Thank God, I did not lose my vision. The eye is healing. The pain is receding.
Mom Pop Pow – Where You Can Do It If You Try