Our home in Las Vegas has a new gas stove. I don’t like gas ranges. On two occasions I have been blown across the kitchen when lighting the oven. The impact left me sitting there wondering what had just happened. The scariest event was when the sleeve of my chenille robe caught on fire when I was frying bacon.
For several days the stove sat there collecting crumbs from food going in and out of the microwave oven above it. I mentioned to Steve how much I missed our lovely electric range with the ceramic top all smooth and glossy AND easy to keep clean. He smiled and said he would be happy to replace the gas stove with an electric one.
We didn’t rush to the store and buy a new stove. There were more important things to do. One morning I decided I wanted some scrambled eggs. I got out the fixings and carefully turned on the burner. The pan almost instantly became hot. The eggs turned out perfect AND I didn’t catch on fire.
As Steve and I watch the progress of Hurricane Sandy moving up the east coast, we are reminded of last year’s storm. We were with my brother and his family. When we lost the power, we still had hot food and beverages because they have a gas stove.
After that there was another incident in Fremont, NH where we used to live. We lost the power and the stove. At the time we talked about the advantages of having a gas stove. A warm beverage warms the soul and body.
I mentioned to Steve that it had been more than 45 years since my last accident with a gas stove. Perhaps in that span of time, technology had advanced to the point that I could now safely use a gas stove.
Steve smiled and said I could have an electric stove if I wanted. I told him I would try to get used to the gas one. Las Vegas may not be on the east coast, but it is possible that we could lose electricity some time.
Do you prefer a gas or electric stove and why?
Mom Pop Pow – Where You Can Do It If You Try