Back on February 14th, Diane introduced me talking on the topic of my favorite Droid-X apps.
This post is an update of the apps that I use most and why.
1. Text Messaging – this is a pre-installed app that I use to send and receive text messages. I also receive Tweets from Twitter via text messaging. I am able to choose what people I want to receive text messages from. I also can configure Twitter “Direct Messages” to be sent my phone. I subcribe via Verizonwireless.com to stock market end of day updates, baseball, football, basketball and hockey scores, just to mention a few type of messages that are offered. I even get messages from our local public broadcasting radio stations in New Hampshire and Massachusettes.
2. eMail message – this is a standard pre-installed app that I use to send and receive eMail from my Gmail accounts.
3. TweetCaster – this is a Twitter compliant app that I use to stay updated with the latest Tweets from my followers and those whom I follow. This app comes as both a free app and a paid for app without commercial banners. I am currently using the free version and I find that it does everything I could possibly want, including maintaining more than one Twitter account. I can even manage my various lists with TweetCaster, which is not true of some of the other Twitter apps that are available.
4. Advanced Task Killer app – this is an optional downloaded app that allows me to selectively stop apps that are running in the background, using up battery power. As my Driod’s battery does not seem to last as long as it used to when brand new, this app helps. Again, I chose the free app as it seems to do the job. It is surprising what apps start themselves up without you knowing it.
5. FaceBook app – this app was pre-installed and I use it connect to my FaceBook account. While this app is not as good as the FaceBook.com interface, it does keep me updated with messages and updates using my Smart-Phone.
6. News widget – this preloaded widget gives me the latest news from Access HollyWood, US News Today, Gizmodo Technology News. CNN News as well as MSNBC News. I can selectively choose what News Feeds that I want to see.
7. Driod default browser – this preloaded app lets me surf the Internet to check out links contained in Tweets or FaceBook messages. I also use the browser to “Google” for more information as needed.
8. WordPress app – this free down loadable app allows me to work on either MomPopPow.com or DadsPokerBlog.com from my phone.
9. Dish Network app – this free down loadable app allows me to program my Dish DVR remotely or in the event I misplace my Remote, I can use my phone as a remote.
10. Science Friday app – this free down loadable app allows me to listen to my favorite Science Friday podcasts whenever I am out and about and away from my FM radio.
I could list more but these are my top ten most used apps. I should mention the Droid pre-installed maketing app that I use to find most of the apps that I need and/or want to try.
Do apps make a difference to you?
Do they tip the difference from having a plain vanilla cell phone to having a SmartPhone that is really “smart”.
What are some of your favorite apps and reasons they are a must have?